An authorized State-side user can create a Purchase Order (PO) from an awarded contract only if that contract has line items or a price list.
This QRG shows a user with the Requestor role how to request a PO from a contract with a pricelist in eMMA.
IMPORTANT!! If your contract does not have a pricelist, the Procurement Officer responsible for that contract must modify the contract and add those items to the contract. Please see the QRG for Adding Line Items to a Contract.
IMPORTANT!! If your contract is expired, the Procurement Officer responsible for that contract must modify the contract and change the dates. Please check with your supervisor regarding proper channels for extending contracts. Please see the QRG for Creating Mods, Options, and Cancel a Contract.
NOTE: For best results, use the Google Chrome browser to access eMMA.
If you need help at any time, please reach out to the eMMA helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request a PO from a Contract
NOTE: This QRG uses diagrams with specific callouts to show required and optional fields in forms. A yellow callout with a red border indicates a required field, while yellow callouts with a black border indicate optional fields. Letters within the callouts correspond to the explanations below the diagram. A red asterisk (*) indicates a required field.
- Access eMMA at https://emma.maryland.gov and log in with your credentials.
NOTE: Depending on your agency, you may only need to click the State SSO Login (Secure Auth) button or the MDOT SSO Login (MSAzure) button and log in with your credentials.
- Click the Contracts tab at the top of the webpage and click the Browse Contracts option from the drop-down menu that opens.
- Use the search fields and Search button to find the desired contract and click the Edit (pencil) icon or the contract ID link under the Code column.
- Click the yellow Other Actions button at the top of the webpage and select the Create Request for PO from Contract Items option from the drop-down menu that opens. A new pop-up window displays.
- Select the checkbox next to the pricelist item(s) for which you want to create a request for PO, then click the yellow Create Request for PO from Contract Items button at the top of the webpage.
- Enter relevant information in the fields for the Header section. A red asterisk (*) indicates a required field. Some fields will not be editable.
NOTE: Ship to and Bill to fields will auto-populate depending on what you select for the Organization field.
- Label (*): This field auto-populates to a Req. for today’s date. It is strongly recommended that you change this label to something that is unique.
- Organization (*): Click the field to open the drop-down menu and select the appropriate organization from the options. The Ship-to and Bill-to fields auto-populate based on this selection.
- Type (*): The default selection for this field is Purchase. Validate this field is correct, or change, if necessary.
- Delivery Date (*): This field auto-populates to today’s date. Validate the delivery date field is correct, or change, if necessary.
- Requestor (*): This field auto-populates with your name. You can change the user in this field if you are requesting this PO on behalf of another user.
IMPORTANT!! It is crucial to select the correct requester here. This person is usually the user who is receiving the goods/services. The correct approval path stems from this user.
- Click the Click or Drag to add a file button to upload the file from your device. The added file displays below this button. Click the X to the left of the document to remove it, if necessary.
NOTE: You cannot upload documents over 307,200 KB in size.
- Attention To: This field is visible to the Vendor, so they know who to address the goods/services to (“Attention To”). Click this field and select an internal user, if necessary. Otherwise, leave blank.
- Comments: Click this field to enter any necessary comments regarding this PO. Anything entered in this field is not visible to the Vendor.
- Scroll down to the Find or Add suggested vendor section and review the Vendor contact field. Make sure this is the correct contact for this Vendor.
NOTE: The Address Code field populates based on the Vendor selection. Do not edit this field.
- Click the blue link to the right of the Order Vendor field. A popup window displays with the Vendor’s profile.
- Click the Contacts tab on the left-hand side-panel.
- Verify that the correct Vendor Contact is listed, and has a login/email address, the Primary Contact role selected, and the Vendor Admin profile assigned. If that person is listed and complete, close out of the Vendor profile and skip to Step 11.
If that person is not on the list, you must add them using the sub-steps below. eMMA cannot send the PO to an incomplete Vendor Contact. If the contact is incomplete, they cannot acknowledge the PO, create receipts, or invoices.
- Click the + Create New Contact button above the list of contacts. A new popup displays.
- Enter the contact’s First Name, Last Name and Email address in the required fields. A red asterisk (*) indicates a required field.
- Click the Save & Close button at the top of the Vendor Contact Management popup. The page refreshes and your contact is listed.
- Click the envelope icon to the left of the contact’s name. This invites the contact to log into eMMA. A new popup window displays.
NOTE: It is a best practice to let that user know to expect the email, and to check Spam and Junk folders if they do not see the notification in their Inbox.
- Make sure the Vendor Admin checkbox is selected and click the Send Notification button at the top of the popup.
- Click the X in the upper right corner of the confirmation. The Contacts page refreshes and the contact is now added to the Vendor profile Contacts page.
- Click the X in the upper right corner of the Vendor profile to return to the Request for PO.
- Scroll down to the Articles section and confirm that the selected line items (from Step 5) were brought over from the contract.
- Click the Edit (pencil) icon to the left of the first line item and click OK in the prompt that displays.
- Scroll down to the Budget section with the G/L String information.
- Review the Percentage field for accuracy. By default, the Percentage field auto-populates with 100%.
NOTE: If you need to split the percentage between this line item and another, you will need to add a new line item and divide the percentages appropriately to add up to 100%; Click the + Allocation button to add a new line if needed.
NOTE: You can also change this to Amount by selecting the Amount radio button above the GL fields.
- Enter the last two digits of the appropriation year in the Appropriation Year field and select that year from the drop-down menu that displays. The section refreshes and new fields display.
IMPORTANT!! You must select the year from the drop-down menu. If you don’t do this, you will not be able to move forward.
PRO TIP: You can use the G/L Information on the uploaded Fund Certificate to use as a reference (see Step 3f).
- Click the PCA field and enter the appropriate PCA code. Select the PCA code from the drop-down menu that displays.
NOTE: If the agency has associated an Index to a PCA in R*Stars, the Index auto-populates. You can change this, if needed.
- Click the Comptroller Object field and enter the appropriate object code in this field. Select the correct code from the drop-down menu that displays.
NOTE: The Agency Object field auto-populates if the agency has an associated Agency Object to the Comptroller Object. You can change this, if needed.
- Click the Save & Close button at the top of the window.
- Repeat Steps 12-18 for each line item listed.
IMPORTANT!! Each line item must have GL information!
- Click the Save button at the top of the Request for PO window.
- Click the green Submit Request for PO button at the top of the webpage.
The PO’s status will be changed from Draft to In Progress. The PO will be sent to the appropriate Requester Supervisor’s profile for approval to continue the workflow.
Once the PO is fully approved, you can send the PO directly to the Vendor. From the purchase order page, select the green Send to Vendor button at the top of the webpage.
The Vendor receives a notification regarding the PO, and they must navigate to the PO and click the Confirm button to move the process forward.